About The Program
The lack of high-quality, engaging summer programming means students may not have a safe place to go while their parents are at work. Even those engaged in daytime activities may not be receiving the quality educational or recreational programming necessary to keep them healthy and to avoid the “summer slide.” Ensuring that youth are involved in positive summer activities is important for our students and our community.
The School District of Lee County is seeking partners for the Support Our Students (S.O.S.) Program hosted at Dunbar Community School. The program was established in 2017 and provides a unique opportunity for students of low-income families. This community-based initiative offers high school students exceptional learning opportunities, cultural arts, and career enrichment activities that inspire them to discover, embrace, and appreciate their self-worth. It also includes six weeks of subsidized work experience. The district has teamed with community partners who offer job/internship opportunities to qualified students.
Partners In Education
Summer Enrichment Details
- FY18 served 106 students (ages 16–18)
- 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Educational Enrichment: executive "soft" skills, finance, work readiness, cultural arts, nutrition and cooking, and high
school credit retrieval
- 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Career Enrichment and Internships
- Students are paid interns or are awarded a $200 stipend through community partners at program completion
- Estimated FY19 program cost: $94,000
How You Can Help
- Sponsor a student as a business or individual community partner
- Provide paid summer internships for students from 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. (4 days per week)
- Contact Kaleigh Rodden, Coordinator, Resource Development, if you are interested in contributing and/or sponsoring student interns
- Expand the program to Lehigh Acres to include
students from East Zone schools
- Business/donor name listed on S.O.S. T-Shirts
- Opportunity to attend a Sponsor's Day to meet teachers and observe the students in action
Thank you for your valuable partnership in helping us ensure that each student has an opportunity to reach their highest personal potential.
I/We Would Like To Support The S.O.S. Enrichment Program…
Please make checks payable to:
The Foundation for Lee County Public Schools. Please include this card and add S.O.S. Program on the memo line.